How to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Moto E (1st Gen)
Moto E (2014) is an awesome handset with some awesome hardware. If you are an owner of Moto E (2014) and want to upgrade to Android 5.1 lollipop then we have some good news for you. You can upgrade to android 5.1 Lollipop via AOSP custom ROM.
It has been considered as the pure stock ROM but with some minor modifications. It provides faster performance than other custom ROMs. If you want to upgrade your Moto E (2014) then follow this guide.
- ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
- ROM firmware required: Unlocked bootloader and custom recovery
- Based on: AOSP
- Status: Testing
- Created: 18 April
- Doing this will void your warranty
- You should take a proper backup of every important data you have
- Your device should have atleast 80% charge
- This guide is only for Moto E 2014. Doing this process on any other model or phone would brick that device
- All the functions of this ROM may not be working as it is still in bete
- Your device should be rooted with the latest version of recovery installed
- Enable USB debugging on your Moto E by going to Settings > About Phone. GO to the Build Number. Tap on it seven times. Now the Developer options under Settings will appear. Thus you can enable USB debugging now.
Step by step guide on How to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Moto E (1st Gen) (CWM)
Step 1: At-first you have to connect your phone to computer using a USB cable. Now download the file provided above and move it as it is to the internal storage of the phone. Please do not extract the file. Keep it in the root folder
Step 2: Now unplug the USB cable and switch off your phone
Step 3: No go to the recovery mode of your phone. To do that Press Volume Down, Volume up and power button at the same time till the boot menu appears. Now navigate to recovery mode by pressing the Volume Down & Volume up button. To navigate you should use the volume buttons and use power button to select
Step 4: In the recovery menu, we have to do a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM. This is to make sure that if anything goes wrong you can back to current ROM. To do a backup select Backup and Restore, then on the next screen select Backup again.
Step 5: Noe perform a data wiping task. Please select Wipe data/ Factory reset . Then select Yes on the screen. You have to wait for few minutes to let the process to complete.
Step 6: Now return to the recovery menu. After that select wipe cache partition. Then Wipe Dalvik Cache, which can be found under the advanced menu
Step 7: Now you should flash the files. Now select install zip from sdcard>choose zip from sdcard from the main recovery menu. Now you should locate the AOSP ROM, which you copied in the root folder of the device.
Step 8: Right after the installation process, go back to the recovery menu and then select the reboot system now to boot your phone into AOSP ROM.
When your phone reboot’s it should be running on Android 5.1 Lollipop via AOSP ROM. Remember the steps above are done via CWM recovery system not TWRP.